If your parent has passed away and you are named as the executor or personal representative in their Will, there are some duties that you will be expected to complete.
Some of your general duties will include:
- Contacting an attorney in the state where your parent resided at the time of their death for advice on what needs to be done to legally conclude the estate
- Notifying family and friends of your parent's passing
- Informing banks, life insurance companies, credit card companies, and other financial institutions of your parent's passing
- Collecting and managing assets
- Paying debts, taxes, and expenses from the estate
- Distributing the estate to the beneficiaries as directed in your parent's Will